The market town of Bedworth is in the borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth, in Warwickshire. It is located between Coventry to the north, and Nuneaton to the south. According to the last census in 2011, the population of Bedworth is 30,438.
There are six suburbs that make up Bedworth, these are:-
- Mount Pleasant
- Bedworth Heath
- Coalpit Field
- Goodyers End
Geography and Location
Bedworth is located:-
- 101 miles from London
- 19 miles from Birmingham
- 17 miles from Warwick
The town of Bedworth is a market town with history dating back to the Saxons. It has a long history with a mention in the Domesday Book of 1086. During the 18th and 19th centuries, Bedworth thrived as an industrial town due to the growth of coal mining and textile industries. It was also a popular hat making town until the 1950’s.
When the Coventry Canal opened in 1789 along with railways in 1850, Bedworth’s growth was enhanced due to transportation of goods to and from the area.
The town has a long history as a coal mining town with the earliest record of this industry dating back to the 13th century. Until 1939, Bedworth had 20 working pits but sadly, the decline of the coal mining industry hit the town hard, with the last pit, Newdigate Colliery, closing in 1982.
In the town centre, you will find the notable Nicholas Chamberlaine Almshouses, simply known locally as ‘The Almshouses’. These are Tudor style buildings built from 1840 and funded by Nicholas Chamberlaine, a local benefactor who lived 1632 – 1715. The buildings are now Grade II listed.
Most of the town centre underwent redevelopment in the 1960’s and 1970’s and today has familiar high street names such as Boots, WH Smith along with several banks and smaller shops.
The Bedworth Civic Hall is the town’s main venue for various events all year round.
The Miners Welfare Park is a recreational park, originally opened to serve the local miners and their families. Today, the park is home to a golf course, cricket pitch, playing fields, outdoor gym equipment, tennis courts, play areas, footpaths and gardens, all of which are maintained by the local council. The Bedworth Leisure centre is also located within the grounds of the Miners Welfare Park, and offers a 25 metre main pool, plus children’s pool.
If you like running then Bedworth ParkRun takes place every Saturday at 9am in the park. If you need a boost to your fitness, then contact Dean Clarke who is a personal trainer in the Bedworth area.
A notable landmark to dominate the local skyline is the Bedworth Water Tower, which was built in 1898 to hold 60,000 gallons of water. It was de-commissioned in 1988 when new water mains were installed to serve Bedworth. The tower was sold in 2015 to be converted into private luxury apartments.
Bedworth has a large Tesco store in the town centre which underwent complete demolition and rebuilding in 2011 as is the town’s largest supermarket. Nearby, there is also an ALDI plus a Home Bargains store which were built on the old site of the Kwik Save store, known locally as ‘The Hypermarket’.
Insurance company Domestic & General has operations in the town and is a substantial employer for the town.
The town has a non-league football team, Bedworth United FC who play at the Oval Football Ground.
Every year on 11 November, Bedworth town centre falls silent to pay their respects to those who fought and died in wars and conflict. The event is always well attended by locals as well as those who travel from afar to the town, to be part of the commemorations. Weather permitting, a flypast takes place, dropping poppy petals over the town.
Bedworth is served well by good road, rail and public bus links. The M6 motorway passes close by, with Junction 3 of the motorway linking onto the A444 bypass to allow easy travel both north and south of Bedworth.
The railway station is a short walk from the town centre and provides a rail link north to Coventry and south to Nuneaton.
Public bus services are provided by Stagecoach and National Express Coventry with services to main surrounding areas, including Coventry, Nuneaton, Bulkington and Hinckley.